Giving myself a hair treatment is one of my favourite aromatherapy treatments to do at home.
What could be more relaxing than a deliciously aromatic warm oil massaged into your scalp and through your hair?
Also, it’s the perfect excuse to relax while the oils do their work. And it’s not only relaxing but helps to maintain strong, heathy, shiny hair.
Today I’m sharing 2 simple ways you can do this at home…
1. Hair Oil Infusion
What you’ll need
- 10mls carrier oil. I recommend camellia, jojoba, sesame.
- 3 – 4 drops essential oils (see below for suggestions).
- 1 small heat proof mixing bowl for oils.
- 1 slightly bigger heat proof bowl to place the small mixing bowl in for warming.
- Hot, just off the boil water.
- Wide tooth comb.
- Hair wrap (or small towel).
- Relaxing music and a cup of herbal tea or your preferred refreshment! A glass of bubbly anyone?!
How to make your hair treatment oil
- Pour carrier oil into the small bowl.
- Add pure essential oils and stir gently.
- Pour water into bigger bowl.
- Place bowl of oils into the bigger bowl to warm.
How To Apply Your Hair Treatent Oil
- When the oils have warmed dip your fingertips into the oils and massage into your entire scalp and through your hair, inhaling as you go!
- Comb through so the oil reaches the ends of your hair.
- Wrap your hair in a towel.
- Leave for 15 – 30 minutes while you relax with a cup of herbal tea, some soothing music or even a meditation.
- To finish the treatment shampoo your hair. You may need to shampoo twice to remove all the oil, towel dry, comb and style as normal.
- You can also leave in overnight for a truly deep conditioning treatment.
2. Hair Conditioning Treatment
This is a super simple treatment to make at home.
Enhance your conditioner with essential oils to create a nourishing treatment.
- Place 10mls of your favourite conditioner into a small bowl and add 3 – 4 drops of essential oils (see suggestions below).
- Warm and apply as above.
My favourite essential oil blends for your hair and scalp
Calm and Soothe Blend for itchy or flaky scalp: 1 drop Patchouli + 1 drop German chamomile + 1 drop lavender.
Nourish Blend for dry hair: 1 drop ylang ylang + 2 drops sandalwood
Stimulate Blend for strength and growth: 1 drop rosemary + 1 drop peppermint + 1 drop cedarwood.
Which hair blend appeals to you? Try it out and let me know how your hair and scalp feels.
In health and happiness, Dee xxx